Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In Conversation: Vijay



















In Conversation: Vijay, talking about himself & one of the remixes that he did.
Clash The Disko Kids & Ming - Midget Gems (The Vijay Remix)

How did you get yourself into this path?
In my teenage years i went through my phases, shoegazer indie rock and then hardcore punk, not forgetting some Milli Vanilli and New Kids on The Block in between. It was I think when I hit a certain dead end in the mid 90s after jamming with some hardcore punk bands that I discovered electronic music. What I found so refreshing about it, was the freedom. The endless posibilities of fusing different sounds and genres together. Anything and everything was possible. So i made a dash to buy my first 303 and locked myself in for months, ignoring phone calls from hot teenage girls who wanted to go out on dates with me.

After about two years of creating all sorts of things in that box, (back then I couldn't afford a computer and software) I put out my demos of some frenetic beats and such, you can hear it here www.myspace.com/ssleepss . Bear in mind this was all made on a drum machine , sequenced and everything, no visual representation , i had to just use my ears to trust the sound. Sometimes limitation has its benefits ,it sort of pushes you to your limits.

Then of course when I got my hands on a computer and some software, everything changed. I did a lot of beat heavy stuff , put out a couple more releases- www.myspace.com/throbsfromthechestcompilation , formed a band - www.myspace.com/phorousp and had a lot of fun along the way and of course everything was done DIY. Took a lot of time and sacrifice to produce, write and engineer the tracks and along the way had to reject hot girls who asked me out on dates because I had to finish a song.

In 2006 I released a track on Raw Fusion records in Sweden together with Spiritual South. A latin broken beat number called Hullabaloo. Suprisingly it did really well!

Where do you get your inspiration?
Inspiration really comes from love. "Nothing really matters , love is all we need" is what Madonna once said. I totally embrace that philosophy. I don't really care about anything else. In fact I don't really even care about music , love is all I care about , embodying and embracing it in whatever form, it might take in daily life.

Is there any tricks & tips for those who wanna head into production?
I'd say do something nobody else has done before . There's no point making beats or music like someone else.

Do your own thing, craft your own art-form. In fact if you can even try and make your own genre or do something nobody would. I made some crazy stuff in my time , listen to this - www.myspace.com/noartificialinstrumentsadded and this - www.myspace.com/invoice777 .

What do you hope for the best outcome?
I don't hope for anything because really nothing matters. Its more about the journey and not the destination.

Last words?
Listen, love , live and learn !

No comments: